Monday, May 5, 2008

What's the date?

I knew something was wrong by the time I got to my first class at 10am and thought, "What's today?" As soon as I opened my August-to-August calendar, I realized that it is Cinco de Mayo. Not a single Asian wished me a Happy Cinco de Mayo. Was I expecting too much? On top of that, none of the other exchange students brought up the date either. When it was St. Patrick's Day, that's all I heard from the other foreigners-- how they wished they could see the river died green, have a beer with breakfast or just get drunk with their friends at home. So where's the love for a holiday that has very little to do with Mexican independence? Sidenote: I can thank George for that tidbit and other random facts about the Battle of Puebla. Anyway. maybe I was the only one who wanted to be with friends and family eating breakfast tacos and drinking margaritas/Sol/Modelo/whatever on a Monday.

I bet I missed some kind of parade at home too. But parades are boring when you're 5'4" and like avoiding traffic jams-- keeping in mind those two things are unrelated, but equally critical. So if you're at home, I hope you skipped the parade and found a reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo... even if it did fall on a Monday. Viva Mexico!

Thanks to Google, I also found this when I searched images related to Cinco de Mayo. And it had cats.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

today's epiphany:
Pico-de-Gayo and Cinco-de-Mayo rhyme!

i can't study anymore. i have resorted to coming up with useless words that end in the same syllable.

- nlh

Kristin said...

ps - i can't figure out how to change "and so i went" back to my name.