Friday, May 9, 2008

The Need to Write

Today was just one of those days where nothing went exactly according to plan, yet I'm somehow feeling great-- about life in general.

Last night Jen and I went to a karaoke bar with Phil, Matt, Kaz (aka the USC boys) and a bunch of others. This was my second karaoke experience in Hong Kong, but this time was much more pleasant. First, it was just like any other karaoke bar you could imagine, except full of Asians. Or maybe that's what you imagined. Most karaoke venues in Hong Kong are just clusters of small, private rooms where you can sing your heart out without embarrassing yourself in front of 75 strangers. But this one was made for embarrassment. Second, because of this fact I got to watch locals perform. Oh. My. God. So perfect.

Anyway, we had a good time and came home at at decent hour.

The bad part was that I woke up after having the most bizarre dreams (not the most restful sleep) and with the worst headache. It must have been a combination of dehydration and alcohol because I only had three drinks over a few hours at karaoe. Whatever it was... sucked. On top of that, Jen and I had to go into town to pick up our airline tickets in Causeway Bay (and I had to pick up my newly altered pants) and our train passes for Japan. Well, I was supposed to get my train pass but I didn't have enough cash. So that will fall onto next week's to-do list. No big.

And today was HOT. The kind of hot that isn't unbearable, but worthy of a good sweat. The kind of hot that reminds me just how miserable I would be doing construction or something of the sort.

Other small things started to put me in a bad mood, but my mood never completely soured.

On my way home I went to Taste and picked up some goods to make a salad for dinner. Jen ordered a cheese pizza (from Pizza Hut of all places) and we got to sit outside and have dinner.

After dinner I came back to the room, started laundry and watched "PS I Love You." Ok, can we just get one thing out of the way. What is the deal with Hilary Swank movies making me cry like a baby?! "Boys Don't Cry." Check. "Million Dollar Baby." Check, check. And now this one! I guess what made me cry the hardest was the simple fact that I'm not separated from a boyfriend/husband in death like Swank's character, but I am in distance. Toward the end of the movie Kathy Bates says,

"I bet you've had a hard time walking into a room full of people on your own. Right? I know what it is to feel like you're not in the room until he looks at you or touches your hand or even makes a joke at your expense."

I miss that feeling-- just getting to look at Steven and have him look back at me. I miss good hugs, too. Being here doesn't make me want to go home simply for the little pleasures that I miss. Missing those pleasures is making this experience even better in a strange way. Missing the things and people I love is lonely somedays, but most days I'm just reminded of what makes me truly happy and healthy.

Haha... so now I'm going to bed with a "Booze Cruise" to look forward to tomorrow. Going from meaningful to just plain fun and trivial. We're going sailing in the harbor with the motto, "Let's get drunk before final exams." Great idea.

No comments: