Thursday, May 15, 2008

I come to Hong Kong to watch American Idol?

Yes, it's true. I've probably watched more American Idol episodes online than I ever would have watched from my house in Austin. But that's yet another side effect of wanting "a piece of home."

I probably wouldn't be watching so much American Idol if I had more school work to do. First, you should understand that it's common at UST to either 1) not have a textbook or 2) pay you friends for a photocopied version of the pages you're supposed to read. This is because textbooks in Hong Kong are "too expensive." They obviously haven't been to the f-ing Co-Op on Guadalupe. In one way, I commend the students here for cheating the system and doing what's collectively more cost efficient. However, professors in turn often don't use textbooks or assign very little reading. The hours I spent at home going through chapter after chapter, I spend here watching online television. PS: I'm a fan of Syesha.

Having fewer daily assignments is much healthier because it means more exercise and more social time. Despite the fact that we didn't have our girls dinner on Tuesday, I'm sure we'll make up for it on Thursday and Friday nights before our departure for Japan-- WHICH we started planning today!

Want to hear a funny story? I had a Brand Management exam today despite the fact that I didn't need to take it. Thanks to the best two-of-three exam policy in that class, I could fail this exam without it hurting my grade. Well, I decided to take a nap before the 6:00 start time. (If your name is Kristin or Steven, you know how this story ends.) Of course, I woke up at 5:45 and yelled, "Shit!" I grabbed my bag and ran out the door. When I got to the academic building I realized I didn't even know what room to go to. Oops. When I finally sat down in my seat and opened the exam booklet, I realized I needed my calculator. Too bad I didn't think to bring one. Oops, again. So I filled in all the multiple choice questions and essays that didn't require calculations. Lucky for the local students, I think I really helped the curve. I just kept laughing and finished the exam 30 minutes early. Dinner was calling!

It's official. That was a TOTAL Steven move. I'm not sure it will happen again.

Speaking of "the boy," Dad if you're reading this email, me back. You better be free for lunch that Tuesday!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I hope you woke up startled and crazy-eyed, unattractively rubbed your face in your hands, and asked what day it was.

my vote's for syesha, too. loved her "fever" number. work that chair, honey!

Unknown said...

Listen. Before you do your damnedest to transform yourself into some Asian-themed Steven doppelganger, just know that I've spent the greater part of my life working to become the slack-minded individual I am today.

I think that what YOU did was more of a typical Laura move than it was mine.

I make conscious, ill-informed decisions to skip important things. You (historically) sleep through them.

We're going to make a good couple our senior year, methinks.

Unknown said...

By the way?

A nap at 6 PM? Sounds like somebody seriously needs some company.

Just saying.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Syesha. So much for some estrogen in the finals. Now I realize from one of your first blogs, how crazy it was that you didn't sleep through that 3:45AM alarm to catch your flight home, but you did sleep through the beginning of a final exam. MMMMMMM you need a vacation. Oh yea, you are going to Japan on Saturday. Have Fun! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that the CRS (cant' remember shit) Syndrome is indeed passed down from generation to generation! I've suffered from this disease all of my life! See you soon!
Uncle Craig