Saturday, April 19, 2008

Typhoon season?

When I woke up this morning and walked to the bathroom, I noticed the water in the bay was really rough. The weather early in the day was nothing unusual-- cloudy, but warm. But then... the wind picked up. Major wind. Don't-wear-a-skirt-today kind of wind. It wasn't until tonight when Jen and I left the dorm that we noticed we were under a level 1 typhoon warning. By the time we got home it had been upgraded to level 3.

I couldn't figure out if I should be alarmed. What does "level 3" even mean? How many levels are there? Is this like "code orange" at the airport? Does anyone pay attention to this stuff? Wait, TYPHOON SEASON is starting... this early?

So I went online and discovered that indeed Typhoon Neoguri was about to make landfall in Hainan, not too far from the coast of Vietnam. Whew! Doesn't look like it's coming close to Hong Kong, but the weather here should be pretty dismal the next few days.

Jen, "What is a typhoon?"
Me, "Just another name for a hurricane, I think."
Jen, "So what does that mean? Just rain?"
Me, "It's a hurricane, so yes."
Jen, "What?! So I have to wear shoes that can get wet tomorrow? That ruins my whole outfit!"

No comments: