Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Golden Arches

If you're tired of hearing me talk about internship stuff, I apologize. Strangely, even living in Hong Kong provides fewer challenges than the actual process of trying to secure an internship from 8,000 miles away. Anyway, I have a phone interview at 11:30pm tonight. Right now, I'm doing my best to stay excited, awake and entertained. Blogging is entertaining enough. And now for YOUR entertainment...

McDonald's in Hong Kong.

I'm not sure I need to say more. But for those of you who can't imagine the hilarious menu differences, let me explain. There are no fast food outlets on campus, except McDonald's. It's located conveniently between the Park N' Shop grocery store and the school store that sells everything from pencils to hand sanitizer and sick-masks. All of your college needs! They work so hard at the school store that they take off nearly 2 hours for lunch everyday. But not McDonald's. They stay open until 10pm ready to serve your fatty favorites! My favorite McDonald's employee, Yin, works all the time. She must have gotten stuck with one of those 12-hour day shifts. Despite that unfortunate fact, she's always smiling.

And McDonald's makes me smile right back, except usually its because of their ridiculously unfamiliar menu. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this, but they offer corn as a side dish and red bean pies for dessert. Earlier this semester they had a promotion for crayfish bisque. Their latest promotion is a new take on Shake 'n' Bake. If you buy a 9-pack of nuggets, you get your choice of a spice and dipping sauce. Alongside your box o' nuggets and fries, you get an empty sack-- we'll call it your french fry shake sack. No need to go to Jack in the Box. You can now get seasoned fries at McDonald's with this new promotion!

Sounds tempting, yes? If you think so, your spice/sauce options are:
1. Japanese curry + Singapore honey mustard
2. Seaweed + Wasabi-flavored mud
3. Kimchi + Pineapple sesame goo

I admit they're not mud and goo, but close. The worst part about this promotion is that wherever you go on campus, all you hear is SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE... [rip!] as everyone opens the french fry shake sack. It's like a toddler keeps following me around with a rattle. And it's a messy toddler that (when not sitting at the table) keeps putting sticks and bugs in its mouth. Stop that already!

I just finished spellchecking this post, and "McDonald's" was in my spellcheck. Don't forget the apostrophe.

PS: Jenny and John, if your baby puts sticks and bugs in his/her mouth, I'll still love him/her. Also, let us know the sex ASAP, so I can stop writing him/her.

No comments: