Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Appendectomy adventures

I stumbled upon this article today that made me think about my emergency appendectomy last summer. Since my appendix actually ruptured, I'm not sure doctors could have taken this no-incision approach. But then again, maybe I wouldn't have wanted them to...

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1727656,00.html

Has anyone heard of this before? Doctors appear to be confused as to why this "transvaginal" or "natural-orifice" surgery hasn't caught on. Umm, I think the problem is not with the technique, but the name of the procedure. It would be like calling open heart surgery a "sternum-splitting surprise." Who in the hell would want that?! Time to call in the marketing and advertising execs; doctors need a new name.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Surgeons Santiago Horgan and Mark Talamini made a small incision in the wall of the patient's vagina..."

"Surgeons also made a small cut..."

For a no-incision surgery, them doctors sure are wily with those scalpels.

Also, how great of a party line would it be to announce yourself as the Chairperson of the Natural Orifice Consortium for Assessment and Research? You'll be leading the cha-cha line by the third round of drinks.

Laura Gayle said...

Hahahahahahahahaha. Once again the locals in the lab are wondering why I laugh so loudly.