Monday, March 3, 2008

Blah, blah, school, blah.

Today I took my second midterm at UST in US-China Relations (with the prof that asked us to wear sick-masks... that class). After talking to everyone after class, I feel pretty good about how I did. I'm glad it's over though. My first midterm was in Brand Management last Wednesday. Today in class the professor asked how I think I did. My response, "I'm upset I missed class before the exam, but I wouldn't have traded it for Thailand." She laughed and agreed.

Tomorrow in my Women's Movement tutorial, we'll be discussing the movie "Hua Mulan" or the original Chinese inspiration for Disney's "Mulan." I watched it last week with Jen, and it was funnier than it should have been-- singing, live actors, subtitles, plot, etc. All of the songs sounded the same, and Mulan's character was quite obviously female. She may have had no breasts, but that was the only "masculine" thing about her. Other than the cultural differences in the film, we just couldn't figure out the casting.

I just finished a group meeting with Crystal, my partner in B2B Marketing. We were assigned partners, but I got extremely lucky-- Crystal works her ass off. We meet outside class once a week to make our decisions for the assigned simulation game. The simulation game (Industrat, developed by INSEAD) gives us about 35 pages of charts, graphs, perceptual maps, and survey data to interpret and formulate the next round's decisions. Sounds fun right? Each week she comes with pages of analysis; she's never unprepared. AND her English is great! That class would be a nightmare if it wasn't for her.

After tomorrow, I only have three more assignments due before Spring Break... woo hoo! Then it's family time in Beijing and planning the last few trips before I go home. FYI: I don't have Asian relatives; my parents will be meeting me there.

I can't believe I'm approaching the half-way mark of the semester. Can I start the margarita countdown clock?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Babe, I swear to Christ that upon your return, you and I will exist in a perpetual state of margarita-induced stupor for at least a week. At LEAST a week.

As for your partner, I'd like to give you a word of advice: don't let her show you up just 'cause she's Asian. Show her your masterful blend of slackery and giftedness. Show her you don't need to work to be awesome.

Also, I saw a China kid on campus the other day. He was walking around with a sickmask on. I got an iPhone shot. I wish I could put it here. Love!