Friday, January 25, 2008

"You're from Texas? But where's your accent?"

Singapore Air would be even more fantastic without so many other passengers. The flight attendants were wonderful-- almost as wonderful as the built-in monitors on the backs of every headrest. I watched "Nanny Diaries." "True Lies" was a close second (not really).

My flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong went on to Singapore. The flight was pretty full. However, the row behind mine only had one person occupying the window seat. The man in our aisle seat, therefore, moved to the empty row behind us. Unfortunately, the man sitting next to me failed to pick up on my cues to move over leaving the seat between us empty. He was gross. I even found his elbows (that continued to jab into my rib cage) and his feet (which were de-socked about 2 minutes after take-off) to be revolting. I'm pretty sure most of it was in my head.

SIDE NOTE: I'm in the computer lab and I just looked up and did a double-take because this kid looks exactly like Chinh Vo. (I wish Chinh Vo lived here)

But back to Gross Guy. When the flight attendant delivered his pre-arrival snack of curried potatoes, bread, roasted tomato, and orange juice, I thought I was going to lose it. He individually soaked every potato in sauce by smushing them around his tray with his fingers. By the end of his meal, I was surprised to find that his shirt wasn't stained yellow. Good for him, his mouth served as the perfect wet wipe. I should have asked for his extra napkin when my -Merican meal of potatoes, sausage and beans arrived. I didn't eat the beans.

Other than Gross Guy, the flight was enjoyable.

I landed, went through Customs (in the wrong line), exchanged US dollars for Hong Kong dollars, and got a cab. I was lucky because my cab driver spoke English. It wasn't the greatest English, but it was good enough. He kindly pointed out important buildings along the way. I tried to tip him, but he refused. I think I like this place.

The campus here is something like I've never seen. Since it's build into the side of a hill (or small mountain), everything is on a different level. To get from my dorm to the main academic concourse, I walk up a hill, go up 11 floors on an elevator, walk across the main bridge way, go up 10 floors on another elevator, walk up 3 escalators and a set of about 20 steps. Voila! I'm there!

I'll post pictures once I get an adaptor to charge my camera that died.

It's about 5:15pm here. Our tour today was nice-- cold, but nice. I think the most important part of the tour was meeting the other international students. A handful from the US, a BIG handful from Canada, and a few Europeans. We went to the Man Mo temple in the middle of the city. It was built to honor the gods of literature and war. Chinese people go here to pray to the gods, burn incense (LOTS) and give money. Our guide showed us a way to pray to the gods and get our fortune told. You kneel on a cushioned stool and shake a cup full of numbered sticks. As you shake the cup forward, one stick will eventually fall before the others. You take the number written on the stick to a man with a chest full of numbered poems. These poems are supposed to tell you something about the year ahead for you.

My poem was about a famous Chinese woman that goes to the Great Wall and cries for her husband. The advice I was given: Don't get married this year. Thanks. I think I knew that. It also said I should be careful. Thanks. I will!

From there we went to a Chinese seafood restaurant. The "seafood" part didn't really apply. Our table shared a lazy-Susan full of dim sum. Again, I'll have more pictures to post. Some of which include a plated chicken head. Mmmmmm.... Luckily, chopsticks make you eat more slowly, so I filled up on not much food. I think my clothes will appreciate that in the coming months.

After we ate, we went to the Hong Kong Museum. Enough said there, I think.

At the moment, I think I'm going to take a nap. You all are still sleeping, so why shouldn't I?!

I emailed out my phone number this morning. Email me when it's good to call you. Otherwise, you should be able to call me by dialing 011 + 852 + 6840-4800.

If you call, I want to hear about exciting things like eating Mexican food. (Jenn, good email by the way.)

1 comment: