Monday, February 11, 2008

Manners? Only on the MTR.

Chivalry. Manners. Whatever you want to call it-- doesn't exist here. Blame the massive number of people or old mentalities about women (and yin/yang). I don't really know the reason; I just know my patience is being tested.

On the first day of class I was pushed out of an elevator to make room for another guy. Yes, I could have been more aggressive, but who wants to be in a packed elevator with pushy people? Not me. Instead I walked up four flights of stairs to get to class. No one opens or holds doors for others. There are no international gestures for "excuse me." Even when there aren't crowds, the locals somehow manage to run into me. I don't get it, but I'll try to get used to it.

You would think because there are so many people, they'd try to create some sense of order. No. People here hate lines. It's probably the same in the US, but people tolerate lines at home. The MTR is a good example of "pretend order". Up and down most of the stairwells and along the middle of most walkways, there is a thick, painted yellow stripe with arrows on each side pointing in opposite direction. It's there in the hopes of keeping traffic moving smoothly on both sides. There are more arrows at each of the train car openings indicting where you should stand to get in and out. None of the locals pay attention to them. I stole the picture below from Tim Chen, one of the other exchange students from UT. He's sitting like a kindergartener between the lines on the MTR. Indian Style, no criss-cross apple sauce.


We like the MTR though-- even when it's crowded. The cars are SPOTLESS, no one eats or drinks, and rarely is someone on a cell phone (despite getting service underground). The MTR is also the only place I've ever seen a man give up a seat for an older lady. Then again, there are signs in just about every other car that say, "Show you have a heart. Give up your seat for someone in need." I'd make fun, but I need that sign.



I felt the need to include a picture of Jen and I on the MTR... and look how happy we are!

No comments: